Move DHCP from Server 2000 to 2003 or 2008
Microsoft has detailed step by step KB article on it.. in brief.
- Reduce the lease duration on server 2000 so the clients will renew IP and you will discover issue quicker if there are any.
- Timing is important –> deactivate the scope on old server before you import it on the new one.
Here are the steps
- Download and install the DHCPExim utility on server 2000, it will not create shortcuts so access it from C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\
- Open command prompt and stop DHCP Service with the following command
net stop dhcpserver
- Open DHCPExim.exe and following the instructions to export any selected scope data to be exported to a txt file. You can chose to disable to the scope immediately.
- Now on your server 2003 copy the txt file on the local drive and run the following command.
netsh dhcp server import filepath\filename.txt all
- Authorize the new DHCP server
Read the this article for moving DHCP from server 2003 to server 2008