Friday, March 12, 2010

Error while importing option “6.” while moving DHCP database from Windows Server 2008 to another Windows Server 2008/2003 or 2008 R2

 

To move DHCP from one server (2003/2008) to another you can use the following steps

  1. At the command prompt type netsh dhcp server export C:\dhcpdata.txt all , and then press ENTER.

Note: You must have local administrator permissions to export/import the data.

Configure the DHCP server service on the server that is running Windows Server 2008

  1. Add DHCP Server Role
  2. Make sure to Authorize DHCP while installing the Role.

Import the DHCP database

  1. Copy the exported DHCP database file to the local hard disk of the Windows Server 2008-based computer.
  2. At the command prompt, type netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpdata.txt all and press ENTER

If might receive the following error

“Error while importing option “6.” “This option conflicts with the existing option “” An Internal Error Occurred.”

It is because by default when you install DHCP Server Role, it puts the following entries in Server Options.

006 DNS Server
015 DNS Domain Name

To fix the Error –> Just delete the above two entries from Server options and Run the Import DHCP database command again.

33 comments:

  1. Awesome. Thank you so much for your time posting this info for me to find and save me some time. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, how long did it take me to find this simple answer, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really helpful at the right time. Thanks a ton

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks! you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude! Your a life saver. IF you don't care I would like to link this to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,

      I am glad it was useful, please feel free to share.

      -Bhojraj

      Delete
  8. Hi,

    Where I can find the Server option "Just delete the above two entries from Server options"?.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find the option in:

      DHCP
      -----IP4
      ---------Server Option

      Delete
  9. I know this is a little bit of an older thread nbut in my searches for Merging DHCP i have this scenario. I have a DHCP 2003 box and want to merge it with a 2008 r2 box. Only thing is the r2 box already has some reservations/scopes on it for a VOIP. I want to combine the both of them into one DHCP server without losing anything on the R2 server. Is that possible??? Thanks. If so does anyone have a Linky?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I am glad it helped you, good motivation to continue to record my findings which I have stopped for past two years. :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing this, saved me some time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still helpfull :-) .. Thanks! It was quite obvious but it doesn't pop in your head the minute you encounter the issue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this information. I was able to follow this, although I did change this on the export not the import. We are rebuilding one of 3 servers, which each have unique networks on them. I removed option 6 from the server I'm rebuilding and exported that configuration. No error on import. Apparently the issue is if the settings exist in conflict, it will not replace an existing value. Thank you for the help in solving my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing ! you just saved me at least 2 hours !

    ReplyDelete
  15. solution worked !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very helpful, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! Worked right away. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice blog. Saved my day.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you find this post useful or if you have any questions