Search is one of the strong features of windows 7, some on us might find it not too useful because by default Windows 7 only search within the file in an Indexed location. So there is no visible option like XP to search text within a file.
To enable File Content Search option there are two options
Option 1 (Searches will be a little slow)
- Go to Tools –> Folder Options or Organize –> Folder and search options
- select “Always search file names and contents” option in Search tab.
- Add the Directory or Drive to Indexed locations from Indexing Options.
Note: If the location is already being indexed and still its not searching the content of certain file types. Use the following option to make sure its being indexed correctly.
- Click on Start menu and type Indexing
- Choose Indexing Options
- Click on Advanced
- In File Types find the Extension you are looking for and click on it.
- In the “How should this file be indexed?” select “Index Properties and File Contents”