Friday, July 8, 2011

Upgrade All Distribution Lists to Exchange 2010

To make use of Exchange 2010 distribution list features and make way to decommission your legacy servers upgrade you all your distribution lists to Exchange 2010 by running the following cmdlet

Get-DistributionGroup –ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup –ForceUpgrade

In Exchange 2010 management of distribution lists has changed a little due to exchange design. To manage permissions of who can edit membership of members of a group and who can manage groups see the following post.


  1. Bless you. The idea of manually clicking through this for 1400 users was not appealing. :-)

    Doubters can do a quick test by making a new group (TestGroup) & typing:
    Set-DistributionGroup TestGroup -ForceUpgrade

  2. One BIG!! issue you have with this is that this script for some reason turns authentication on on all your DL's so you may find that suddenly external messages won't be received to DL's until you turn this off. sucks!

    Add -RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled $False to the back of your script like this:

    Get-DistributionGroup –ResultSize Unlimited | Set-DistributionGroup –ForceUpgrade -RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled $False

  3. This is really good but having problems if the Group Alias has spaces in it?

  4. Anonymous,

    Use email address of the group instead.

  5. Hello,

    Is it possilbe to revert back to Exchagne 2007

    1. I would personally look at what the issue is and then try to fix it instead. I have not come across a way to downgrade the lists back to 2007. If you are interested please explain the nature of the problem and I may be able to help resolve it.

  6. Thank you very, you save me

  7. I have used below method as I don't wanted to do all at ones

  8. For the record, doing the ForceUpgrade at this point retains the RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled setting. I'm running Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 6 and finally got around to upgrading all the distribution groups and dynamic distribution groups. I did not run into any issues - all attributes remained the same.


Leave a comment if you find this post useful or if you have any questions